Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lambeth and the South Bank

Hannah, Tara and I went on this walk together and I led the walk. This was a really pretty walk I thought. Unfortunately there were a lot of things that I had wanted to see that were closed because we went later in the day. We didn't get to go inside the Florence Nightingale Museum, nor did we get to see the Roman Bath. We just had to look at the outside of it, but maybe we'll find some time to go back later. I think my favorite part of the walk was the second half, once we started walking along the Thames. Although the Thames is a pretty gross river, there are some amazing views from the both sides and from all of the bridges that cross the river. I love seeing the London skyline from so many different areas along the Thames. We took a little detour and went up on the Westminster Bridge to get some pictures, which was beautiful. Walking past the London Eye was pretty crazy. I hadn't been up that close to it yet because I'm absolutely terrified of heights and have no desire to get on it. Seeing how huge it is was incredible. I also thought it was interesting that the book said the London Eye was originally a temporary thing, put up to celebrate the millennium. So it hasn't even been in London that long, only 11 years, but it is such an iconic part of London. I also thought it was really interesting when I was reading about the footbridge that's connected to the Hungerford Bridge that England just seems to put up all of these new building projects as a way of celebration. For example, the London Eye and then the footbridge that was put there in celebration of the Queens golden jubilee. It is an interesting cultural thing. I liked crossing the Waterloo Bridge as well. It had some great views. Right before we went up onto the bridge, there was this giant living room set covered in fake grass stuff. It was so weird! But way cool at the same time. It was a great little walk overall.

London Eye

Crazy duck statue. Hannah must not like it very much...

No comments:

Post a Comment